Sunday, February 05, 2006

Me trying to figure out why the hell I thought I should start a blog

I have something of a dubious relationship to writing. On the one hand I've been told by a couple people that I can do it and I do really enjoy rereading what I've written, call me a narcissist if you want. But then on the other hand I often find myself really intimidated by the really good writers out there, thinking that I don't really have anything all that brilliant to add. A lot of times when I'm writing I feel something like an 11-year-old leaning up against the fence beside his dad and trying to get his elbows up on the edge to look like a grown-up, but having to be content with just resting his chin on the wood because that's as high as I can reach. At least I can still see over...

But nevertheless, I figured it might be fun to get on this blogging bandwagon. If anything it will be a good exercise for myself. I kept a journal all through grade 12, perhaps this will end up as just a personal journal that I can look back on one day. Look back and wonder how I ever made it through.

I have entitled this blog 'stabs in the dark', the same title I used for my old King's Chronicle column. That's often what I feel like I'm doing when I write. There is far more darkness out there than I'd often like to admit, far too much that I haven't a clue about, but every once in a while I see a flash of light or hear the shuffling of feet. It is these unnothingnesses that I'd like to try to describe. My mind tends to wander uncontrollably, so I'm sure this blog will act accordingly. Enjoy.

1 comment:

j.h. said...

Matt!

It's lovely to see your...name. How have you been?

Joel