Friday, February 10, 2006

To WestJet, with Love

Boy, I love flying with WestJet. I just did this morning. Got up at an ungodly hour after going to bed at an even more ungodly hour. But those WestJet people are just so great. There is life in WestJet. Here's why. It's because in all the scripted rule-following that is airline travel these days, WestJet allows some sort of spontenaity in their following of these rules. Attendants are allowed to joke around and make mistakes when they are talking about the safely features. Somehow this makes me feel more safe. Like how a person who can take being made fun of a little is somehow more real and trustworthy or something like that. Anyways, it warmed my heart that in the paranoid North American world, we can have people who know the rules and follow them, but allow life to come in and dance a little jig every once in a while.

When I fly with WestJet I feel like a person. True, I still have to pay for earphones and anything more than the equivalent of 3 pretzels, but at least its fun and that's how airline travel should be. Never lose the wonder and excitement that comes with being able to fly, even if you are flying in a rather sanitized environment....

Also, thumbs up for facilitating a tight transfer in Calgary. After a fiercely delayed flight out of Winnipeg, I was anticipating missing my connecting flight to Edmonton and having my much needed vacation put on hold indefinately, but instead everything went rather smoothly and I did make my flight here to Edmonton. So thank you WestJet, even though you are big and corporate and probably doing some irrepairable damage somewhere to someone, you do a good job and that's all we really want, isn't it?

No comments: