Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Transit Mystic V

[Yeah I finally had it with my dumb word 'muss'. This segment has now been retitled and renumbered, giving up the Dickensian scheme for one more Virgilesque (or SuperBowlian, if you're feeling irreverent)]

A thought on the nature of my little observances... There's something very spiritual about them I'm finding. I haven't written much of late, mainly because I haven't seen much of late. Not that I haven't seen anything, just haven't been properly listening. That's how it often is between me and God, God being there and pulling off His little stunts and me simply failing to listen to what's going on, sitting there grim-faced and staring at the blurred sidewalk. Some weeks the things I see on the bus could fill a small book, others, especially the ones of late, leave me vacant and slack-jawed. I wish I knew some sort of formula for how to get into the right mode, maybe a pair of glasses that would throw everything into sharp relief. But I haven't found it. How this is all spiritual I don't really know if I can explain properly. I think there is something spiritual about being conscious of your surroundings and the people around you. There's definitely something spiritual about breaking into a deep breasted James Earl Jones-like chuckle, even if it is just in my head. I think God must look at the world the same way a lot of the time, just taking absolute delight in the stupidest, commonest, oddest sorts of things. Remembering with a chuckle,

"...and it was very good..."

-----------------

One actual observation I had today: Isn't it odd how when you step on the bus, all you see is the empty seat which you seek to claim? Isn't it odd how when you step on the bus, you don't see any faces? Tonight I got on the bus and tunnelvision kicked in and I made straight for the seat just behind the back door, just up the pharmacy steps they put in buses nowadays. All I saw was the seat. I did not see my good friend Andy sitting a few seats away, in the back where he likes to sit. I kind of felt bad. I'm sure he saw me come on, because I know that I certainly see every face that comes on after me. Must have seen me, said to himself, "Hey, that's my friend," then must have felt snubbed that all I saw was the seat...

No comments: