Friday, March 02, 2007

Whistler

Reading break. Whistler. Condo with a fireplace and views of the clouds which covered the mountains. Walking distance to the best skiing in the world. Hanging out with friends. Eating amazing food around a dinner table, like a real family. Not getting any work done. Does it get any better than that?
Yes, some of you may know that I went up to Whistler for a few days over Reading Break. It was a great week. I skied for the first time since a Grade 9 trip to Frostfire in North Dakota. Almost ten years ago! Makes me feel old. I really enjoyed skiing. For not having done it in so long I think I picked it up pretty quick and before long was carving up the slopes like I was born to do it. OK, that's an exageration, but that's what it felt like. There's something about skiing that just makes you feel, I don't know, like a superhero or something. The cold wind in the face. The mountain peaks gazing down on you. The speed. Maybe that's why I like skating so much. The cold wind in the face. The legs pumping. The speed in the cold. Maybe that's it. There's something inside me which becomes extremely alive when I'm moving quickly through cold air. That's why I'm tempted to get a season pass for Whistler come next winter.
I should also add that I did have a number of nice wipe outs, including one as I came to the bottom of the hill at the end of the day. Also had a couple yard sales.
I should get some pictures to post on here. Stay tuned maybe I'll put some up in the next day or so.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

well....aren't you just the lucky man. Reading break in Manitoba consists of a trip to Grand Forks and being stuck in a house with my mother

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you have begun smoking pipe. I would say we should light up a pipe this summer but I hear you will be staying in Vancouver... good on you. Its a good place to live. I'll read your paper and get back to you.....cousin Kyle