Thursday, September 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to Jim

On Tuesday I got to sing happy birthday to and eat birthday cake with J. I. Packer. Yup. Thought that was worthy of a post. He turned 80 this summer, so we had a belated celebration with him.

He preached at Regent's weekly chapel service. He surprised me. I mean, he's really old, slightly hunched over, very deliberate in his movements. But he sprang up there and just started rolling with this quick wit that had the whole place in stitches. I mean, he's a very funny man. Not something you'd expect from a legendary theologian. And then I find out that he loves hiking. Hiking, not mall-walking, or even street walking, hiking through the woods over rocks and around trees and through the mud. So Jim Packer: author of "Knowing God", one of the 25 most influential evangelicals according to Time magazine, old man, hiker and comedian. What next? Does Eugene Petersen knit and stutter? Stay tuned...

And did I mention that Jim is my neighbour? Well he is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should call up Jimmy and Eugene and start an Inklings Society. you can talk about Calvinism and smoke pipes and write hymns using words like "propitiation" and "unconditional." what do you think? just to make it Vancouver-like, you can meet at Granville Sushi and then go over to Starbucks afterwards.